World Social Forum Porto Alegre 2005
5th World Social Forum
26-31 January 2005, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Report on the Global Progressive Forum, Chair Poul Nyrup Rasmussen
After a stop over in South Asia, in Mumbai, India, in 2004, the World Social Forum (WSF) came back to where it all began; Porto Alegre. The Global Progressive Forum organised, for the first time, several events in the official program of the WSF (see annex). Many speakers from the Global Progressive Forum were invited in different panels.
All in all, about 200 participants from SI and PES member (Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Palestine, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay, UK, US) parties attended the WSF.
The participation was much higher than the expectations with more than 100 000 people from all over the world. More participants from Africa and Asia (especially India) attended the WSF this year, but it is still insufficient.
The WSF is still a work in progress. The world social forum event is more successful than the regional ones, where local political antagonisms are stronger and create obstacles (The case of the European Social Forum being the best example).
For the 2006 edition, the International Council (IC) of the WSF decided to organise a decentralised WSF. It will be held in different places around the world the same time, during the period of the WEF in Davos.
The joint event with the trade unions (ICFTU, WCL, ETUC ) and NGOs (Solidar and Social Alert) was very successful. The GPF had its own stand where lots of materials were distributed.
List of meetings:
- Giampiero Alhadeff, Secretary General of SOLIDAR
- Roberto Savio, IPS
- Giampiero Rasimelli, Eurolat/Tercero Sector
- Chico Whitaker, Brazilian Peace and Justice Commission (CBJP) of the National Council of Bishops (CNBB)
- Candido Grzybowski, Director General of IBASE
- Gerry Rodgers, Director of the ILO’s Policy Integration Department
- Flavio Lotti, Tavola de la Pace
- Federico Mayor, President of UBUNTU
- Meeting with UNISON
- José Genoino, President of the PT, Workers Party, accompanied by the PT’s International Department;
- Giorgio Romano, Special Advisor of Minister Luis Dulci